Norman Fair Trade is an action group dedicated to promoting Fair Trade in Norman, Oklahoma. We aim to raise awareness and increase the availability and demand for Fair Trade products by actively collaborating with local businesses, student organizations, faculty and staff associations, farmers, faith-based organizations, social and environmental justice groups, community leaders, and City Council members.
On May 11, 2010, Norman became the first official Fair Trade Town in Oklahoma and the 17th in the United States. The campaign started in the fall of 2008 with the aim of promoting Fair Trade in Norman by raising awareness and increasing the availability and demand for Fair Trade products.
Through multiple community events like musical events, tastings, documentary screenings, and even a Fair Trade soccer tournament, the campaign was able to connect with members of the community and grow their team significantly.
A resolution passed by the Norman City Council on Tuesday, May 11 completed the final step to make Norman an official Fair Trade Town. The resolution expresses support for purchasing goods that are produced locally or, if produced abroad, meet Fair Trade standards that focus on improving quality of life for developing country producers, and ensuring environmental sustainability.
To maintain its status as a Fair Trade Town, Norman must continue to meet the following five goals:
- A local Fair Trade steering committee is formed that meets on a regular basis to increase awareness of and demand for Fair Trade products
- A range of Fair Trade products are available in local stores, cafes and other venues.
- Fair Trade products are used by a number of local organizations, such as places of worship, schools, hospitals, and offices.
- The local campaign attracts media attention and visible public support, including press and radio.
- The town or city council/governing body passes a resolution supporting Fair Trade and the local campaign and commits to serving Fair Trade coffee and tea at its meetings that normally include coffee and tea.
Fair Trade Towns USA (FTT) is an exciting initiative that brings together businesses, civic and educational institutions, faith-based and community organizations, and individuals throughout the United States to grow the Fair Trade movement and achieve special recognition for communities that value Fair Trade. Fair Trade Towns mobilizes communities to help create a better world by creating a deeper commitment to Fair Trade in their area through civic action, increasing consumer access in stores, and the education of both children and adults about the producers who grow and make the things that we buy.
Norman Fair Trade is excited to be part of this important movement and continues to work hard to maintain its status at the 17th Fair Trade Town in the United States. If you are interested in joining us, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Facebook fan page.