(Full transcript of a proclamation by the Mayor on April 28, 2009)A PROCLAMATION OF THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF NORMAN, OKLAHOMA, PROCLAIMING THE WEEK OF MAY 4 THROUGH 10, 2009 AS FAIR TRADE AWARENESS WEEK AND SATURDAY, MAY 9, 2009 AS INTERNATIONAL FAIR TRADE DAY IN THE CITY OF NORMAN.
- WHEREAS, the City of Norman annually spends thousands of dollars purchasing food, apparel and other goods; and
- WHEREAS, "Fair Trade" certification is an innovative, market-based system that encourages fair labor practices and a healthy and safe work environment by identifying food and beverage products that generate fair economic benefit to the producers of these products- often farmers in less developed countries; and
- WHEREAS, the sale of Fair Trade Certified goods helps these small producers in developing countries gain direct access to international markets in order to increase living standards, foster economic independence, and encourage sustainable farming practices; and
- WHEREAS, Fair Trade Certified products are widely available and competitively priced in the United States through over 300 providers of food products including those that provide coffee, tea, chocolate and fresh fruit; and
- WHEREAS, the City of Norman recognizes the comprehensive labor conditions that may be supported by its actions, including fair wages, sustainable production practices and a work environment free from toxins.
6. Do hereby proclaim that May 4 through 10, 2009, be recognized as Fair Trade Awareness Week and the second Saturday of May be recognized annually as International Fair Trade Day in the City of Norman.
Passed and approved 28th April 2009.
(signed by the Mayor)